How do the rates work?
Your rates vary depending on what type of meter you have, when you signed up to SSE Airtricity and your payment and billing methods. The easiest way to see what your current rates are is to check the ‘Rate’ column on your bill – you can do this online through My SSE Airtricity.
Types of rates
Smart Meter Electricity customers with Smart Services activated
There are three electricity rates for activated smart meters. These rates are applied at specific times of the day for the standard smart tariff as follows:
- Peak rate: This is applied between the hours of 5pm and 7pm.
- Day rate: This is applied between the hours of 8am and 11pm, excluding the peak hours.
- Night rate: This is applied between the hours of 11pm and 8am.
Different smart meter products may result in changes to the time bands referenced above.
Electricity customers with no Smart Services activated
There are three types of electricity rates depending on your meter type:
- 24hr rate: this applies only if you have a 24 hour meter. You pay a single unit rate for electricity no matter what time of day it is.
- Day rate: this applies only if you have a Day / Night meter. Day-rate hours are 8:00am – 11:00pm in the winter and 9:00am – 12:00 midnight in the summer.
- Night rate: this applies if you have a Day / Night meter, and / or a night storage heater. Night-rate hours are 11:00pm – 8:00am in the winter and 12 midnight – 9:00am in the summer.
There is only one type of gas rate no matter what meter you have. This varies, depending on which tariff or package you selected when you signed up.
Things that affect your rates and discounts
Your electricity and/or gas rates can vary based on the following:
Whether you are a bundle customer
If you hold both electricity and gas accounts with us, you will benefit from additional discounts.
When you signed up to SSE Airtricity
You may benefit from a special introductory rate, depending on when you signed up and which package you chose. After this, you will automatically be switched over to our Standard rates.
How you receive your bill
Customers signed up for eBilling get a discount for choosing not to receive bills by post. You can sign up to eBilling anytime online through My SSE Airtricity.
How you pay your bill
Customers who pay by direct debit also receive a discount. This discount isn’t affected if you use any of our other payment methods to make ‘top-up’ or extra payments.
To switch to direct debit, contact our Customer Services team on 1850 81 22 20^ with your SSE Airtricity account number and bank details.